- Call for contributions
- Music Programme
- Presentation instructions
- New Resonances Festival
- Related events
- Important dates
- Corporate support & Sponsorship
- Author instructions & Submission
- Conference venue
- Music venue
- Travel information
- CMMR history
- Contact us
Nearest London Underground stations are Mile End on the Central Line, District Line, or Hammersmith and City Line, Stepney Green on the District Line and Hammersmith and City Line. Both stations are in Zone 2 of the London Underground and five minutes walking from Queen Mary University of London.
- From Mile End station, turn left and cross Burdett Road and Mile End Road at the traffic lights, continue along the Mile End Road until you reach the College buildings on the right.
- From Stepney Green, turn left out of the station, cross Globe Road and continue along Mile End Road.
By bus take the number 25 (Oxford Circus to Ilford) and get off near Bancroft Road. There are a number of other services stopping within five minutes' walk of the site, including the 277 (Highbury and Islington to Canary Wharf) and Docklands services. For DLR and other travel information, please refer to the main College website.
We advise to check the underground service status prior to the journey by using the London Journey Planner.
London transport tickets
It is suggested a pay as you go (top-up) travel card called OYSTER as the cheapest way to move around in London as well as avoiding queuing for buying tickets every time you travel. It can be used on London Underground, DLR, buses, etc. It costs £5 (Oct. 2011 fares) but it is refundable. You could buy it at your arrival in UK. Photo is not necessary. There is also available a special visitor’s OYSTER travel card.
Suggested arrival routes from London airports
These suggestions are simple routes, not necessarily the cheapest or fastest routes. For further information please also check:
Take the Heathrow Express to London Paddington station
(Journey time 15-20 mins, runs every 15 mins. Costs £32 return plus £3 (Oct. 2011 fares), if you buy on the train.
- On the London Underground, take the Bakerloo Line Southbound to Oxford Circus.
Change to the Central Line. Travel Eastbound to Mile End. Walk to the Campus.
Allow about 1 hour total travel time.
Alternative route (cheaper): From Heathrow, take the London Underground Piccadilly Line Eastbound to Holborn. Change to the Central Line, and travel Eastbound to Mile End, as above. Allow up to 1 1/2 hours total travel time.
Alternative route: From Heathrow take the Heathrow Express to Paddington as above, and then take the Hammersmith and City Line Eastbound directly to Mile End. To get to the Hammersmith and City Line at Paddington, walk along the platform to the footbridge that is, going away from the main concourse, then follow the signs to platforms. Note that as there is no escalator, it will be necessary to walk up and down about 20 steps to get to the platform.
Take the Gatwick Express to London Victoria station.
(Journey time about 30 mins, runs about every 15 mins. Costs £15.95 single, £27.40 return (Oct. 2011 fares).)
On the London Underground, take the District Line Eastbound to Stepney Green station. Walk to the Campus.
Allow at least 1 hour total travel time.
- Take the Stansted Express to London Liverpool Street station. (Journey time about 45 mins, runs about every 30 mins. Costs £20 single, £27.30 return (Oct. 2011 fares).)
- On the London Underground, take the Hammersmith and City Line Eastbound to Stepney Green Station. Walk to the Campus.
Allow about 1 hour total travel time.
Occasionally the Hammersmith and City Line may have long gaps (10 mins or longer) between trains. If you don't want to wait at Liverpool Street Station, you can go instead to the Central Line and travel to Mile End station.
A cheap way from Stanstead airport is to take a National Express coach to Stratford which costs £8.00 (Oct. 2011 fares) and then the Central Line. The total travel time is about 1 hour (45 min coach + 15 min underground).
London City Airport
- Take the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) to Canning Town station.
- On the London Underground, take the Jubilee Line Northbound to West Ham.
Change to the District Line or Hammersmith and City Line Wesbound to Mile End Station (both lines run from the same platform). Walk to the Campus.
Total travel time about 40 mins.